Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Xianghua Cosplay

I have always liked the character designs for the game Soul Calibur, so two of my friends and I decided that would be our next costumes to wear at Katsucon 2011. I chose Xianghua from Soul Calibur IV because I loved all the patterns and dye effects on the jacket and shirt. 

Dying was definitely the hardest part of the costume, I had to lay out the coat and sponge paint the dye on the edges and back without getting any on the white part. If you ever try spot dying like this remember that patience is the key. I was very impatient and ended up having to use a little bleach a few times. Once the dying was completed I screen printed the pattern on the back and along the scalloped edges.

This is the first time I have ever cut and styled a wig. I bought a fairly long wig, despite the character's short hair, because of the long strands in the front. After cutting it to the length I wanted I used hair gel to  shape it into the flipped out spikes. I coated it with a considerable amount of hairspray but the hair tips didn't want to stay together so I fixed this with a little elmer's glue.




No comments:

Post a Comment